05 April 2009

What Am I?

P.S.

Speaking of rootlessness, I should add that it isn't a bad thing. For all my lamenting for California and home, I have come to like carrying my wallet, journal and apple around these cities, satisfied. It suits me. Celebrated American short story author Kevin Brockmeier, comfortable in Arkansas, says, "One of the advantages of working as a writer… is that you don’t have to live anywhere in particular to participate in the strongest currents of your art form. As long as you can sit down with a pen and a sheet of paper one minute and with a copy of War and Peace or One Hundred Years of Solitude the next, you’re basically living right at the center of literary culture. When it comes to literature, there’s no such thing as the provinces.”



Maybe I'm a writer.

No comments: