23 January 2009

Morning Musings

I have a hard time trusting my Italian for English Speakers textbook when it uses this as an example sentence: "The dresses look like coats."

This morning my alarm clock interrupted pleasant dreams, and I pulled a cardigan over my nightgown before heading into Friday. The interior heat has turned our house into a sauna, so despite the snow outside I sleep in a light cotton nightgown. I draped the little boys' clothes over their metal thermostats to warm while we ate breakfast (I resisted the cookies, woohoo!, in favor of whole grain toast), then helped them get ready for school. Ushered the family out the door and watched the building's elevator depart, trailing a chorus of Buona giornatas in its wake. Wrote a postSecret to my friend Thomas in Chicago, did some Italian textbook exercises, watched BBC news hourly update on the gynormous plasma television that has caused so much unrest within our household: A-- calls it "The Monster" and does his best to avoid the living room altogether.

Last weekend I visited my daddy in Cannes where he attended an annual music business conference. It was great to see him after seven months abroad, and our first Christmas apart in my 22 years of life. We strolled along the Mediterranean, peeked in upon yacht parties, ate baguettes and croissants, hunted for creme brulèe. He and I stayed out until 3am almost every night, going to "events" to “network” (pick up schwag, listen to music, and pose for photos), or sitting in the living room in our pajamas to talk about life, generally spending as much time together as possible. It was a blessing.

The sun poked out this week, teasing us with the promise of spring. I tasted April in the breeze... but snow is promised for the weekend. To cheer me up, however, I recalled the view from my train from France to Torino:




No comments: